First off, let's all just take a deep breath! Hold the breath in for a few seconds, and then release it. Repeat this process as needed.
I hesitated about sending a Coronavirus email, or as it's referred to now as the much more ominous COVID-19. My email box was inundated with them, from everyone to my dentist to our graphic designers. I didn't want to feed into the panic, or try and capitalize on that panic financially as I have seen others do.
Then I went to the grocery store after work today. Mid afternoon on a Friday is generally not the busiest time in Acme, but it was like people were prepping for the apocalypse in there. And apparently the only way to fight back against this virus is to make sure you have enough toilet paper and paper towels? But even I'm not immune to this panic! I found myself laying awake last night, literally wondering to myself, "Do I have enough toilet paper!?!?!?"
So after that, I wanted to make sure that we reached out, that you heard from us, and that you had an update regarding our response to these issues:
- Our office will remain open, operating normally, with normal hours. If any of our staff becomes ill, or if there are any federal recommendations regarding closures, that may change. But for the moment, it is business as usual! Our job is to help people deal with the stresses on their body, both physical and mental, and as long as we can do that, we will do that!
- We have always taken the sterility and cleanliness of our office very seriously, and those practices will only be enhanced and reinforced in the coming weeks. But our treatment technique requires us to get close to our patients, closer than most healthcare practices today. So if you are feeling ill or exhibiting any symptoms related to COVID-19, please stay home, go to your doctor, and rest!
- Remember that we deal primarily in pain but our goal with every patient is improvement in nervous system function. The nervous system controls the immune system! The healthier your spine is, the better your immune function will be and chiropractic treatment has been clinically proven to improve immune function! So get adjusted if you can! Additionally, here are some tips that will help you feel and function better, and better protect you and your family:
- Get enough rest
- Exercise, go for walks
- Get outdoors
- If you are not already, start taking a high quality multivitamin and possibly a Vitamin D supplement (if you need a recommendation, just ask us)
- Stay hydrated (with water!)
- Cut back on sugars in your diet
- Clean up your diet and stop or cut way back on processed foods and junk food.
- Meditate or spend some time every day in prayer or quiet reflection - this is a great way to quiet your mind from all of the stress, fear and bad news surrounding us.
- Again, get adjusted regularly.
In the meantime, we will deal with this crisis together!
We will persevere and come out stronger on the other side!
We are here to help and serve in whatever way we can.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, you can call our office or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to seeing you at your next appointment!
Dr. Travis McKay